Monday, November 2, 2009

A Week of Adjusting

Everything is running smoother now. Joey made it through a full week of Smith house routine (very Crazy with & kids). He went to a fall festival at church and really had fun. Joey is very used to his name now, and is sleeping through the night. He was getting up to pee 3 times a night for attention, but he would go to bed when told to. Now he doesn't even get up to pee. YES, YES, YES. SLEEP, SLEEP, SLEEP. Joey really loves his older 2 brothers and sister. He is doing well with his 8 yr old sister and 4 yr old brother, but still does not like his 2 yr old brother. He will fight him for toys and attention with pushing and shoving. We also found out that Joey was stealing from everyone, and hiding the items in his backpack. When we corrected him for this he stomped his feet and pouted. However, there has been no more stealing. He has only had 1 tantrum this past week, and it was in front of Paul. He will not do it in front of me anymore. I guess he figured out fast that tantrums and crying get you no where with Mommy. He will still cry when not getting his way with the 2 yr old, but we are working hard on controlling this. He is still pushy and very in your face, but we will work on it. He is now saying thank you, hello, goodbye and I love you, and he uses it correctly. He understands more english daily, he is very smart. How He expects to be entertained every minute of the day, so he is going stir crazy at home. He should be starting school next week, and I think he will enjoy it. Joey really enjoyed trick or treating, and caught on fast to the treat part. Joey did really well at his first church service, and we went to our annual church picnic after. He did good and had fun, until the soda. He really liked it , but I limited his intake. This he did not like. He was going to throw a very big fit when I told him no more, but he controlled his emotions, I was very proud of him. We then decided to go home, we did not want to push to much stress on him. He had a big week, and overall I think he did very well. I am doing much better now that I get to sleep. This week will be quiet and low key, getting him ready for school.
I will try to update again this week, but I do not get much time on the computer. Thank you to everyone for your kind thoughts and support in our continued journey to bond with our new son.

2 comments:

  1. Heather,

    I'm so happy to hear that things are going well. Ah sleep, yes, it is a huge help with adjustment (for mommy and child :-). I'd say for the short time you've been home, things are going very well, and will continue to get even better. Thanks for the update!
    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear that things are looking up and everyone is getting some sleep.

    Blessings Angie

    ReplyDelete